Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Music in the air

Indians sing. There is singing everywhere. Every TV channel has a singing competetion-based reality show.

I was in Nagpur for the New Year's Eve and it struck me there that people in India are so comfortable singing in front of strangers. Even if they are totally out of key.

At a restaurant, the waiter was singing along with the instrumental music in the background. The ticket collector in the bus was singing "koi mil gaya.." along with FM Mirchi.

In contrast, my Ph.D. advisor was totally surprised when she heard me humming while working in the lab. She asked me incredulously, "Anand, are you singing?"

Music and dance is part of our culture. Apparently, the theme of movie "Aaja Nachle" is the same.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Quintessential Critic (Sudhir Narayana) said...

Hey it's good to read you! Easy, lucid and surely food for some thought. Keep them coming!!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Quintessential Critic (Sudhir Narayana) said...

And, your blog title reminds me of the days when I wondered about 'Whither India' abook written by someone. I guess I was in class VIII when I heard the title and it made me wonder, "Why would India 'wither'"? It took a while for me to see the difference!

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home