Friday, May 30, 2008

Issue settled

My issues with Tata Indicom have all been resolved amicably. The manager of customer complaints took note of my previous blog post and got in touch with me and made sure that the issue was resolved without any further hassles.

I am impressed.

I am impressed that Tata Indicom's higher-ups take customer issues seriously.

I am impressed that a blog entry can have such an efficacious impact!

It reminds me of a centralisation-decentralisation debate that I studied last year. People in the higher rungs in an organization (govt. or private sector) are usually more motivated and identify themselves better with the organization than employees in the lower rung. Hence it makes sense to invest more authority and responsibility in them.

However, there are fewer employees in the higher rungs and they cannot humanly handle all the grass-root issues. So, enough powers are delegated to the lower rungs, in the hope that it would lead to better performance.

With technology though, there is a possibility of performance improvement even without delegating powers to the lower-rungs. Modern tools allow higher-ups to have a greater control over their subordinates through various forms of feedback, like by checking for any criticism posted online!

Chandrababu Naidu was a classic example of this phenomemon called 'recentralisation'. With video-conferences and all, he was able to track what was going on in the districts, reversing the trend of giving a freer hand to district officials.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home