Monday, January 07, 2008

Sphoorti

I finally went to see Sphoorti - Srivyal's initiative for destitute kids.

One of the first things I said was, "man, this looks so real!" He must've been confused at that. The thing was, I hadn't seen the website or pictured what I was going to see. As I walked towards the place, through the sub-urban lanes, led by two scrawny kids, the modest surroundings began to sink in. There was random vegetation, cattle waste and no proper drainage.

The 'ashram' as the kids called it, is just a house-like place. The verandah was teeming with close to forty kids. All of them were poring into their books, with some kids helping their friends.

As I tried to understand the working of the place, the enormity of the job began to dawn. It's forty-plus number of kids we are talking about. Parents talk about one or two kids as responsibility. Health, nutrition, schooling for forty-plus kids is a huge task. The kids are all pretty young between five and eight years. Srivyal is thinking of renting a second place too to segregate boys from girls. "Kids will be in their pubescent age soon," he said.

Srivyal's sphoorti amazed me. He is thinking of expanding and taking in more kids. I promised to spread the word. My gang in the U.S. of A. is itching to give-back anyway!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home