Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Bureaucracy, bureaucracy and red tape

I went to ThIs company for an interview. And it made me realize immediately that all big organizations tend to get bureaucratic. I waited for almost an hour before anyone told me what the schedule was for the rest of the day. I had to interact with the reception and then the HR. They made a security pass for me and was then taken to the technical managers.

In contrast, when I think about it, the interview process with UPSC was very smooth. Heck, even the security guard at the gate was fully informed and as I showed my admission card, he told me the procedure and what I'd have to do. And that too politely. For every group of students, there was a clerk, helping out with all the formalities and making small talk. Sometimes I think, people don't give enough credit to the smooth processes in the government, at the higher levels at least.

Incidentally, the head of the panel which interviewed me is apparently slated to become the next Chairman of UPSC. It could be just a rumour though. Rumours abound when it comes to UPSC.

4 Comments:

Blogger Macaulay said...

I guess it has something to do with how valuable the ideas you have around the office are -- for the company, they will be screwed if their ideas are discovered by others. Similar logic does not hold for UPSC. However, I agree, it is tardy on the company's part to treat a potential recruit shabbily..

9:29 PM  
Blogger Anand said...

UPSC is one of the important pillars of Indian polity. In fact it is considered one of the four main pillars. Security of information in the UPSC is of paramount importance. THe process was smooth in spite of tight security..

11:21 PM  
Blogger Macaulay said...

I was just contending that security of information is easier to achieve than security of ideas..

2:29 AM  
Blogger Anand said...

Interesting.

If an employee doesn't give out his ideas and doesn't put down his ideas as 'information', it would be more difficult to steal ideas. Stealing information could be easier.

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home